When using the public portion of the Web site, you can do so anonymously. You are not required to provide us with any personal information, and we do not monitor or collect any personally identifiable information from you on your use of the public portions of the Web site. We may track the number of users who visit areas of the site for internal use, such as improving accessibility to Web site facilities and marketing, but this tracking will not identify you. We may also record the location of your computer on the Internet for systems administration and troubleshooting purposes and for reporting aggregate information.
Information Gathering and Usage
When you complete an application for membership, for the Consultants Directory, or to purchase a publication, we require some or all the of the following information: your name, contact information, institution name, job title, mailing address, education and work history, and areas of expertise. You can also provide other voluntary information, such as gender, birth year, race/ethnicity, and employment sector. This information is for demographic purposes only and helps HFES better understand and serve the needs of its members.
We process the information you provide to qualify you for the correct level of membership and for legitimate membership or business purposes, which include some or all of the following:
Members can log in to their records and view the data we have on their “Welcome” page. Members can do the following at any time:
Please bear in mind that if you object or critical data is deleted, this may affect our ability to carry out the above tasks for your benefit.
Withdrawing Your Consent
You may at any time withdraw the consent you provide for the processing of your Personal Data for the purposes set forth in this Privacy Notice by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org, provided that we are not required by applicable law or professional standards to retain such information.
HFES permits use of the postal mailing list of members for purposes related and beneficial to the profession, such as licensing the list to nonprofit associations in related fields, providers of education, and providers of related products and services. HFES does not provide members' e-mail addresses to third parties, other than for cosponsored events approved by the HFES president and/or Executive Council.
HFES does not sell, lease, or provide to any person or organization personal information except as specified above. HFES does not collect credit card account information but discloses the necessary information to the appropriate clearinghouse.
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you personally, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, birthdate, or other identifying characteristics. We collect and store personal information that you share with us or that is available from public sources. Below are examples of ways in which we may collect your information:
- When you request information via one of the email addresses identified on our website, or otherwise contact us in person, by phone, or email, with an inquiry.
- We may collect your name, email address, telephone number, and other contact information if you register for and/or attend an event.
- We may collect information such as your name, email address, telephone number, and payment information when you make a contribution, either on our website, over the phone, by mailing in a check, or any other manner in which you might make a contribution.
- Information about your charitable gifts and grant transactions with us (such as your fund balance, grant history, and parties to transactions).
- Responses to donor interest surveys
- Responses to donor demographic surveys
The above list provides a sample of ways personal information may be collected by HFES. From time to time, we may collect personal information from you in ways not described above.
HFES restricts access to personal information to our management team who need to know a donor's personal information in order to provide our services to them.
This Web site contains links to third party providers that deliver services in support of membership benefits. They include SAGE Publications, Boxwood Career Solutions, Mira Smart Conferencing, and MGI Lists. We encourage our users to read the privacy statements of any site that collects personally identifiable information.
Links to Other Web Sites
Links to other Web sites are provided solely as pointers to information on topics that may be useful to the users of our Web site. Please read their privacy rules before proceeding.
We use a third-party provider, Constant Contact, to deliver our e-newsletters, member updates, conference information, and publications. We gather statistics around e-mail opening and clicks using industry-standard technologies. You may opt out from receiving any further marketing e-mails from us by using the "unsubscribe" link present at the bottom of the email, or by contacting us at email@example.com.
To resubscribe, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your request.
We take precautions to protect your information. Some of the information you enter on our Web site may be transmitted securely via Secure Sockets Layer SSL, 128 bit encryption services, which are enabled by Thawte. Pages utilizing this technology will have URLs that start with HTTPS instead of HTTP.
- Register you as a member and provide you with access to our products and services
- Identify you and provide you with a secure means of logging in to your account
- Meet our mission to disseminate information about the human factors/ergonomics field and to serve the professional needs of our members
- Provide notice of important events, activities, and proposals
- Provide opportunities for networking and professional events
- Respond to satisfaction questionnaires and surveys
- Provide a directory accessible to other
- Provide public access to the Consultants Directory
- Compile and provide mailing and attendance lists for and meetings.
- See what data we have collected from you
- Edit any of the data we have
- Have us edit or delete any data we have about you by contacting us at email@example.com
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data