Manuscript Submission Deadline: March 15, 2021
This is a call for papers for a Special Issue of the Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making (JCEDM) devoted to " Leveraging Artificial Intelligence Technology in Healthcare.”
Advances in Artificial Intelligence (AI), machine learning, robotics, and related advanced software technologies promise to revolutionize access to and quality of healthcare. This includes earlier detection, improved diagnosis, more targeted and personalized therapies and robotic assistance for patient rehabilitation and in-home care. At the same time lessons learned from previous waves of AI technology as well as recent development efforts suggest the need to take a broader sociotechnical perspective, and carefully consider the context of use so as to avoid developing brittle systems that fail to be used or worse that negatively impact care provider experience and patient safety.
Among considerations include that:
- the ‘user’ is rarely an individual operating in isolation, requiring consideration of the broader context of use including healthcare workers, the patient(s), caregivers, and advocates;
- work as practiced often differs from work as imagined;
- effective joint performance often requires leveraging the strengths of people on the scene (collaborative automation / shared autonomy);
- successful applications benefit from incorporating knowledge and perspectives of users and stakeholders (co-development);
- introduction of new systems can have unanticipated ripple effects (both positive and negative).
This special issue of JCEDM focuses on the state of the art, research results, and open research issues related to development and application of AI, machine learning and related technologies to enhance the delivery of healthcare, with a special focus on Human System Integration and Sociotechnical considerations. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Research on AI systems (and related technologies) for healthcare
- Case studies of application of AI technology in healthcare
- Reflections on lessons learned from design and implementation of AI systems in healthcare
- Advances in theory and methods for design and/or evaluation of AI systems
- Considerations for application of AI technologies to special populations (e.g., children, older adults, underserved populations)
Manuscripts should be submitted electronically via http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/jcedm.
Manuscripts will be subject to the standard JCEDM review process. Publication is anticipated in late 2021 or early 2022
For more information on the journal JCEDM and manuscript preparation guidance see: https://journals.sagepub.com/home/edm
SPECIAL ISSUE GUEST EDITORS:
Ann Bisantz, University at Buffalo
Laura Militello, Applied Decision Science
Emilie Roth, Roth Cognitive Engineering
Back to News Feed