HFES Strategic Plan
Developed October 24, 2018
Amended July 18, 2020
Goal A. Promote the Evaluation and Exchange of Information among HF/E Researchers, Educators, and Practitioners, along with Opportunities for Professional Growth and Collaboration
- Provide forums where HF/E researchers, educators, and practitioners can easily interact.
- Provide forums for HFES members that address business development, research development, and the application of HF/E.
- Provide guidance to local and student chapters to facilitate networking activities.
- Provide formal and informal mentoring programs and activities for the Society members at all stages of their careers.
Goal B. Promote the Education of HF/E Science, Methods, and Applications
- Provide continuing education forums for HF/E professionals.
- Provide HF/E training forums for non-HF/E professionals.
- Provide specialized HF/E forums for students.
- Provide access to HF/E educational materials.
- Ensure the structure and content of the Annual Meeting and other specialized meetings are relevant and current.
- Maintain and review criteria for high-quality HF/E higher education programs.
Goal C. Promote Awareness by Creating and Disseminating Information about the Distinct Value of HF/E to the Public, Industry, other Societies, and Government
- Develop materials regarding the positive impact of HF/E for the public
- Develop examples of the economic value of HF/E for government and industry officials and publication in industry and management journals, on web sites, blogs, and other sources of information.
- Promote the importance of HF/E in research proposal announcements, applications, and review panels by government agencies, foundations, industry trade associations, and professional societies and in system development.
- Provide information to government officials and their staff on issues important to the Society.
Goal D. Increase Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion across the Society, Including the Membership and Leadership, and Participation in Conferences and Publications
- Identify diversity, equity and inclusion gaps and needs within HF/E.
- Assess the experience across underrepresented groups engaged in Society events.
- Provide diversity, equity and inclusion education and guiding principles for the Society.
- Develop programs that serve underrepresented or otherwise marginalized populations and encourage participation in the Society.
- Implement mechanisms that facilitate equal access to information and opportunities to increase diversity across the Society leadership.
- Increase the diversity of nominees from underrepresented groups for leadership positions, awards, and Fellow status.
Goal E. Translate the Science of HF/E Into Practice
- Participate in the activities of recognized standards development organizations to produce information reports, best practices, guidelines, standards, and other similar materials.
- Where guidance is lacking, hold workshops and produce materials to translate HF/E science into practice.
Goal F. Advance the Science and Practice of HF/E to Address Current and Emerging Societal Problems
- Identify the salient societal problems, the solutions, and the opportunities for HF/E.
- Expand HF/E into new domains that would benefit from its science and practice.
Goal G. Increase HF/E Reach and Relevance through Multidisciplinary Collaboration
- Enhance other disciplines’ understanding of HF/E through multidisciplinary collaboration.
- Provide topic-centric forums to encourage multidisciplinary collaboration.