Nominations for the 2022 Robert L. Wears Early Career Award are now being accepted. The HCTG is looking forward to seeing the achievements of academics and practitioners, in honor of Dr. Wears' pioneering work!
The Health Care Technical Group (HCTG) is pleased to announce the Robert L. Wears Early Career Award. Each year an HCTG committee will grant this Award to one academic and one practitioner that has unique achievements in their early career.
Nominations can be submitted until August 31st, 2022 and the two awardees will be announced during the HFES Annual Meeting. The HCTG is looking forward to seeing your achievements.
This Award is named in honor of Robert L. “Bob” Wears, MD, MS, PhD, for his pioneer work in the integration of human factors in healthcare. Dr. Wears was an emergency medicine physician who transformed the way investigators approach patient safety research through human factors tools and methods. Described as both humble and brilliant, Dr. Wears provided mentorship and guidance to both clinicians and human factors specialists pursuing careers in safety science. Dr. Wears was part of the healthcare technical group from its early days, and we hope that this Award will serve to promote his legacy.
The goal: The Robert L. Wears Early Career Award aims to highlight the achievements of academics and practitioners in the first six years from graduation.
An Application Packet (submit documents below as a single PDF file):
- A nomination letter detailing the (academic OR practical) contribution to healthcare human factors and ergonomics
- One letter of recommendation
* self-nomination is also possible but will require two letters of recommendation.
- Six years from a terminal degree (Degree awarded no earlier than May 2016)
- Evidence of excellence in scholarly (or practical) contribution to Healthcare human factors and ergonomics
- Research (or practical) impact
- Involvement with HFES national and local chapters
- Application/nomination packets are submitted to HCTG Awards Committee Chair (Dr. Changwon Son, firstname.lastname@example.org) by August 31, 2022.
- An ad-hoc award committee with 3 independent reviewers is formed.
- The ad-hoc award committee includes at least 1 practitioner and 1 academician.
- The ad-hoc award committee does not include any HCTG officers.
- Each reviewer evaluates applications/nominations independently and the ad-hoc award committee discusses and selects awardees via committee meetings.
- One academician and one practitioner
- Awardees are notified in September.
- Awards are presented during the annual HCTG business meeting during 2022 HFES Annual Meeting.
- A framed certificate is presented.
Please e-mail the application/nomination packet to Dr. Changwon Son (email@example.com). Also, feel free to email Dr. Changwon Son for any questions regarding this Award.
The deadline for receipt of nominations is August 31, 2022. Please view details on the HCTG Twitter feed here:
Back to News Feed