HFES Strategic Plan
Amended January 6, 2019
Version from Paul Green
January 30, 2017
Goal A. Promote the evaluation and exchange of information among HF/E researchers, educators, and practitioners, along with opportunities for professional growth and collaboration.
- Objective 1. Provide forums where HF/E researchers, educators, and practitioners can easily interact.
- Objective 2. Provide forums for HFES members that address business development, research development, and the application of HF/E.
- Objective 3. Provide guidance to local and student chapters to facilitate networking activities.
- Objective 4. Provide formal and informal mentoring programs and activities for the Society members at all stages of their careers.
Goal B. Promote the education of HF/E science, methods, and applications.
- Objective 1. Provide continuing education forums for HF/E professionals.
- Objective 2. Provide HF/E training forums for non-HF/E professionals.
- Objective 3. Provide specialized HF/E forums for students.
- Objective 4. Provide access to HF/E educational materials.
- Objective 5. Ensure the structure and content of the Annual Meeting and other specialized meetings are relevant and current.
- Objective 6. Maintain and review criteria for high-quality HF/E higher education programs.
Goal C. Promote awareness by creating and disseminating information about the distinct value of HF/E to the public, industry, other societies, and government.
- Objective 1. Develop materials regarding the positive impact of HF/E for the public.
- Objective 2. Develop examples of the economic value of HF/E for government and industry officials and publication in industry and management journals, on web sites, blogs, and other sources of information.
- Objective 3. Promote the importance of HF/E in research proposal announcements, applications, and review panels by government agencies, foundations, industry trade associations, and professional societies and in system development.
- Objective 4. Provide information to government officials and their staff on issues important to the Society.
Goal D. Translate the science of HF/E into practice.
- Objective 1. Participate in the activities of recognized standards development organizations to produce information reports, best practices, guidelines, standards, and other similar materials.
- Objective 2. Where guidance is lacking, hold workshops and produce materials to translate HF/E science into practice.
Goal E. Advance the science and practice of HF/E to address current and emerging societal problems.
- Objective 1. Identify the salient societal problems, the solutions, and the opportunities for HF/E.
- Objective 2. Expand HF/E into new domains that would benefit from its science and practice.
Goal F. Increase HF/E reach and relevance through multidisciplinary collaboration.
- Objective 1. Enhance other disciplines’ understanding of HF/E through multidisciplinary collaboration.
- Objective 2. Provide topic-centric forums to encourage multidisciplinary collaboration.
Goal G. Increase diversity across the society, including the membership and leadership, and participation in conferences and publications.
- Objective 1. Identify diversity gaps and needs within HF/E.
- Objective 2. Assess the experience across underrepresented groups engaged in Society events.
- Objective 3. Provide diversity education and guiding principles for the Society.
- Objective 4. Develop programs that target underrepresented populations and encourage participation in the Society.
- Objective 5. Identify individuals from underrepresented groups that can be mentored or trained to increase diversity across the Society leadership.
- Objective 6. Increase the diversity of nominees from underrepresented groups for leadership positions, awards, and the Fellow.