User Experience Day is a dedicated track of programming specifically geared for UX professionals. The event takes place for one day each year at the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society International Annual Meeting. The objective of UX Day is to deliver a great program of technical sessions and networking opportunities for attendees interested in this area. This is a great chance to share insights and make personal connections with a wide variety of UX professionals from around the world!
User Experience Day is attended by user researchers‚ interaction designers‚ user interface developers‚ and anyone who is interested in user experience subjects. Events include lectures on state-of-the-art studies and UX topics given by some of the best User Experience professionals in the country‚ a fun and engaging happy hour‚ a best-paper competition‚ an emerging-leaders workshop‚ and much more!
UX Day Keynote Address
Wednesday, October 25, 2023 - 9:00 AM
What Were They Thinking? How Design Failures Can Help Us Think about Good Design
Philip Kortum, PhD
Professor, Department of Psychological Sciences
How often have you been forced to interact with an unusable design, and you think to yourself, "What in the world were they thinking when they designed this?" In this talk, Dr. Kortum will illustrate a wide range of interface design failures, discuss how failures make it into the final designs, and, most importantly, describe how understanding design failures can help us think about how to do good design. Throughout, we'll keep an eye on the research that can help inform good design.
Special Session on Advances in UX Research & Practice
Wednesday, October 25, 2023 - 1:30 PM
Keith Instone, Research Analyst, Stratascale
A panel of User Experience practitioners will discuss trends (such as AI) that affect UX research and practice. We will frame our conversations around advances in:
- Types of experiences people have with technology
- Methods, processes, and tools we use to define, design, and deliver great experiences for users
- Organizational capabilities to manage customer, employee, and other user experiences
- Communities of interest/practice and professional institutions where we study, teach, and learn UX
UX Day Panelists:
- 8:30 AM - 10:00 AM - Usability in the Real World
- 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM - UI/UX Design Analysis and Evaluation Techniques
- 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM - Training and User Experience in Virtual Reality
- 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM - User-Centered Design, Training, and Education
- More to come