At HFES, we are committed to launching more content via new channels for our members and others interested in promoting and advancing the discovery and exchange of knowledge concerning the characteristics of human beings that are applicable to the design of systems, products, tools, and environments of all kinds. We are seeking volunteers to lead our latest member feature, the HFES Podcast Series. The Podcaster will be the HFES storyteller and shape the show through their editorial decisions and personality.
The HFES Podcaster will lead a volunteer team to host specific segments on a variety of topics on a bi-weekly basis. We also are looking to establish a team to support this new activity and will ultimately seek to fill multiple positions aside from the Podcaster.
Nicholas Roome and Blake Arnsdorff of the Human Factors Podcast will help to develop the structure of this new team. The HFES Podcaster will have an opportunity to develop our new show alongside them. The following is an example of a potential podcast schedule:
- INTRO ~30s - 1minute
- Programming notes: what you can look forward to over the coming month/week from HFES
- Outcomes/initiatives resulting from HFES council meetings
- Any additional information the Executive Council wants to highlight that is not included in the Bulletin
- UPCOMING EVENTS/LIVESTREAMS/WEBINARS ~1 - 5 minutes
- HFES NEWS ~5 - 10 minutes
- Highlights from HFES Bulletin
- Provide personal commentary on any topics that are in the Bulletin or banter about the Bulletin topics (I'm looking forward to....)
- MEMBER HIGHLIGHT/NEWS ~1 - 2 minutes
- ROTATING SEGMENTS ~5 - 20 minutes
- Research coming in journals soon, interview/talk with researcher
- Technical Group spotlight
- What's happening in a TG
- News, research, etc.
- (As available) Who's Hiring HFEs:
- List out companies that have job opening for HFEs at varying levels i.e., intern, junior, mid-level, senior
- Specialized talks
- Learn about a method to help with day to day tasking
- OUTRO ~1 - 3 minutes
- Follow HFES on all platforms
- Develops and deploys HFES podcasts
- Work with advisors Nick Roome and Blake Arnsdorff to develop and execute the structure of the program
- Serves as the podcast technical leader interfacing with HFES Executive Council, Executive Director, and other members of the governing body.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Outgoing with enthusiasm for this work
- Good speaking skills
- Ability to lead interviews or discussion panels
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Skilled at communicating with diverse audiences
- Experience with conducting and moderating a podcast or webinars
Equipment and training is provided. Initial volunteer term is one year with option for reappointment.
If you have interest in volunteering with the Society in this role, please email HFES Executive Director Steve Kemp at email@example.com with the subject line “Podcaster”.