The Health Care Technical Group (HCTG) is pleased to announce a new annual award - the Robert L. Wears early career award. This award is named in honor of Robert L. “Bob” Wears, MD, MS, PhD, for his pioneer work in the integration of human factors in healthcare. Dr. Wears was an emergency medicine physician who transformed the way investigators approach patient safety research through human factors tools and methods. Described as both humble and brilliant, Dr. Wears provided mentorship and guidance to both clinicians and human factors specialists pursuing careers in safety science. Dr. Wears was part of the healthcare technical group from its early days, and we hope that this award will serve to promote his legacy. Each year an HCTG committee will grant this award to one academic and one practitioner that has unique achievements in their early career.
Nominations can be submitted until August 31, 2021 and the two awardees will be announced during the Human Factors annual meeting. The HCTG is looking forward to seeing your achievements.
The Robert L. Wears early career award aims to highlight the achievements of academics and practitioners in the first six years from graduation.
Nomination submission process:
- A nomination letter detailing the (academic OR practical) contribution to Healthcare HFE
- One letter of recommendation
- Email completed nomination package to both Yuval Bitan and to Arjun Rao no later than August 31, 2021.
* self nomination is also possible but will require two letters of recommendation.
- 6 years from terminal degree (Degree awarded no earlier than 2015)
- Evidence of excellence in scholarly (or practical) contribution to Healthcare HFE
- Research (or practical) impact
- Involvement with HFES national and local chapters
- Applications will be elicited in April 2021 (submission by August 31st)
- Announcement during the Human Factors annual meeting
- Applications are sent to HCTG Awards Committee Chairs (Drs. Yuval Bitan & Arjun Rao)
- An ad-hoc committee with three independent reviewers will be formed
- Awards committee will include at least 1 practitioner and 1 academician
- The awards committee will not include HCTG officers
- Each reviewer will evaluate applications independently and will meet to discuss and select awardees
- Nominators will be notified in September
- Awards will be presented during the annual business meeting
- The award will be a wall plaque or framed certificate
Yuval Bitan and Arjun Rao