Volume 55, Number 4
Call for 2012 Student Member and Chapter Award Applications
by Kim-Phuong L. Vu, Chair, Student Affairs Committee
The Student Affairs Committee is pleased to have the opportunity to recognize the accomplishments of and service to the Society by our students and student chapters through the Student Member with Honors Award and the Outstanding Student Chapter Award. To apply for these awards, students or chapters must send a completed application (see below) and supporting materials to me at email@example.com on or before July 2, 2012. Award recipients will be recognized at the 56th Annual Meeting (http://www.hfes.org/web/HFESMeetings/2012annualmeeting.html) in Boston during the Student Reception, to be held on Tuesday, October 23, from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
The following are eligibility requirements highlights for the awards. Please refer to the HFES Student Chapter Web site (http://www.hfes.org/web/Chapters/student_chapters.html) for complete details.
Student Member With Honors
This designation honors students who have made outstanding contributions to the discipline and/or HFES during their tenure as students. To qualify, students must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Student membership in HFES for at least six months prior to application
- Classified as a graduate student, or class standing of junior or senior for an undergraduate
- Minimum GPA of 3.75 for graduate students; minimum GPA of 3.50 for undergraduate students
- Successful completion of at least three HF/E-related courses with an A grade
- Significant HF/E-related service to HFES
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member specifying and demonstrating the student?s outstanding contributions.
In addition, at least two of the following three conditions must be met:
- Primary author of an HF/E research paper published in an approved journal
- Presenter of an HF/E-related lecture at a national or international conference
- Evidence of significant contribution to an industry project
Student Chapter Levels of Recognition
Chapters are recognized for their contributions and achievements (both the number and quality of activities) across a number of categories as listed below, with emphasis on demonstrated excellence in a specified number of areas. The levels of recognition are as follows:
- Gold requires activity in at least eight categories with excellence in at least five categories, and at least 50% of the student members being HFES Student Affiliate members.
- Silver requires activity in at least five categories with excellence in at least three categories, and at least 40% of the student members being HFES Student Affiliate members.
- Bronze requires activity in at least three categories with excellence in at least two categories, and at least 25% of the student members being HFES Student Affiliate members.
The list of activity categories follows; of primary importance is the quality and outcome of the activity in the category. The creativity category allows chapters to uniquely define activities and provides an opportunity for some chapters to obtain a recognition level for which they would not otherwise qualify.
- Guest speakers
- Field trips
- Service to HFES
- Social and networking activities
- Information dissemination
- Continuous improvement
Chapters must clearly indicate the recognition level sought (Gold, Silver, or Bronze), provide supporting materials that document the various activities of the chapter in each category, and provide a letter of recommendation from the chapter adviser. We encourage chapters to submit other materials that will support the application, such as brochures, announcements, or images from events, videos, and Web sites. Please include all supporting material electronically as part of the application, and provide a short narrative that sufficiently details your accomplishments in each activity category.
Submitting Your Application
The deadline for receiving applications for both the Student Member with Honors and the Student Chapter Award is July 2, 2012. No applications will be accepted after this date. Be sure to read the complete application details before making your submission. Compile the completed application materials into a single document (preferably PDF, but Word is acceptable) and send it by e-mail to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to the Table of Contents for the April 2012 HFES Bulletin
Download a .pdf version of this issue
Archive of past HFES Bulletin issues (in .pdf format)