Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Strategic Plan
Adopted May 2010
Strategic Goals and Objectives
A. Science and Practice Goal: Advance both the science and practice of HF/E to
maintain HFES as the premier scientific body in the field.
1. Increase the impact factor of the journal.
2. Advance the transfer and translation of our science.
3. Identify research gaps and provide direction to the research within the
4. Develop mechanisms for taking positions on topics (Outreach Advisory).
Mechanisms: TAG, blue-ribbon panels, organized information on the Web site;
e.g., CDC, sports medicine.
5. Develop a long-range plan for collaboration with the Federation.
6. Increase the impact of EID.
7. Explore partnerships and cosponsorships within HFES (TGs, chapters) and with
other organizations to support science and education initiatives.
8. Identify key remaining HF/E issues and support research and forums for
B. Education and Training Goal: Promote the teaching of HF/E science, philosophy,
1. Anticipate and prepare members for the future requirements and issues of
2. Identify and help fill important gaps in available teaching and self-study
3. Provide forums for continuing education of HF/E professionals.
4. Provide forums in which non-HF/E professionals can get specialized HF/E
5. Provide forums in which students can get specialized HF/E training.
C. Peer Networking Goal: Promote the evaluation and exchange of information among
HF/E researchers, educators, and practitioners.
1. Produce materials in which HF/E researchers, educators, and practitioners can
present their work, knowledge, and ideas to the HF/E community.
2. Provide forums through which HF/E researchers, educators, and practitioners
D. Outreach Goal: Promote the exchange of information between HF/E professionals
and those who need our services.
1. Advance the level of knowledge about HF/E among nonmembers.
2. Promote the sharing of information and interaction with nonmembers.
3. Advance and promote the understanding and appreciation of user-centered
design among the general population.
4. Ensure that human-centered design principles are incorporated into industry
standards and government regulations that significantly affect human
performance and quality of life.
5. Ensure that human factors and ergonomics professionals are included in
committees, boards, commissions, panels, or other bodies that provide advice
and guidance to government agencies and industries on issues affecting human
performance and quality of human life.
6. Translate and promote the use of HF/E principles from data into forms (such
as tools and guidelines) usable for analyses, design, and evaluation.
7. To actively solicit information from outside of profession that can benefit
or enhance the discipline and membership.
E. Organizational Excellence Goal: Serve and represent the members as the premier
scientific, engineering, and practice society.
1. Enhance HFES decision-making, resource management, and member services to
support strategic objectives.
2. Pursue ongoing improvement and understanding of the unique attributes of
3. Develop leadership and member involvement at all levels of the Society.
4. Providing leadership within the discipline at the international level.
5. Ensure high-quality services and outreach to attract, maintain, and enable membership.