The Human Face of Technology: Selected Presidential Addresses of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society gathers 14 addresses presented by past HFES presidents since 1964. The collection
- serves as an introduction to human factors/ergonomics (HF/E) for interested laypersons, advanced undergraduates, or graduates who may be searching for a specific research focus;
- can be used by practicing professionals to bolster and support the case for their contribution by acting as an information source and introduction to fellow professionals who may have heard of but have not directly encountered HF/E; and
- acts as an archival record of the progress of HF/E across the decades.
Here, the reader can not only enjoy the contributions of each specific individual but also grasp the evolution of topics of interest and concern over time.
Table of Contents
P. A. Hancock
1. Words, Words, Words (1964)
From Human Factors, Volume 7, Number 1, February 1965. Copyright 1965 Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. All rights reserved.
2. Individuals and Us (1965)
J. M. Christensen
From Human Factors, Volume 8, Number 1, February 1966. Copyright 1966 Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. All rights reserved.
3. Life and Death (1969)
H. M. Parsons
From Human Factors, Volume 12, Number 1, February 1970. Copyright 1970 Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. All rights reserved.
4. The Ten Best Ways to Embarrass a Human Factors Specialist (1978)
R. W. Pew
Copyright Richard W. Pew, 1978.
5. Human Factors Success Stories (1984)
D. H. Harris
From Proceedings of the Human Factors Society 28th Annual Meeting, 1984. Copyright 1984 by Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. All rights reserved.
6. Dreams, Design, and Destiny (1986)
R. J. Hornick
From Human Factors, Volume 29, Number 1, February 1987. Copyright 1987 by Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. All rights reserved.
7. Automation (1991)
T. B. Sheridan
Copyright Thomas B. Sheridan, 1991.
8. Everybody Knows – Or Do They? (1992)
K. R. Laughery
See also Ergonomics in Design, July 1993
9. The Ergonomics of Economics (1996)
H. W. Hendrick
Copyright Hal W. Hendrick, 1996.
10. Human Factors and the Older Adult (1997)
A. D. Fisk
See also Ergonomics in Design, January 1999.
11. Watching People Watch People at Work (1999)
D. D. Woods
Copyright David D. Woods, 1999.
12. The Human Factors/Ergonomics Parade: A Tale of Two Models (2001)
W. C. Howell
From Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 45th Annual Meeting, 2001.
Copyright 2001 by Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. All rights reserved.
13. Who Knows About Human Factors and Ergonomics? A Lot More People Than You Might Think (2005)
Wendy A. Rogers
Copyright Wendy A. Rogers, 2005.
14. Building Bridges to the Future of Human Factors & Ergonomics (2012)
Mica R. Endsley
Copyright Mica R. Endsley, 2012.
15. Defining HFES: The Time Is Now (2013)
Anthony D. Andre
Copyright Anthony D. Andre, 2013.
16. Zen and the Art of Human-Systems Integration (2014)
Francis T. Durso
Copyright Francis T. Durso, 2014.