Resources in This Section
More student-focused resources may be found in the Educational Resources section.
Download the 2014 Career Roundtable webinar recording (.mov, 63.6 MB). This webinar, organized by the HFES Western New York Chapter, offered career advice by a panel of industry and academic professionals.
Why Join HFES?
Students make up about 15% of the overall membership and are critical to the current and future vitality of the Society and the human factors/ergonomics profession. HFES provides a number of free resources for students, in addition to the regular membership benefits (complimentary subscriptions, discounts on publications and annual meeting registration fees, free résumé posting):
- Automatic enrollment in the Student List Server to facilitate discussions about topics of interest and announce opportunities (opt-out is available).
- Resources such as the online Directory of Human Factors/Ergonomics Graduate Programs, "Quick Tips for Finding a Human Factors/Ergonomics Job in Industry," and "Preparing for a Career in Human Factors/Ergonomics."
- Support of student chapters at universities throughout North America. For more information on student chapters, click here.
- Student Career and Professional Development Day, offered each year during the HFES Annual Meeting.
- Student Forum technical program track for students who would like to submit proposals about their work for presentation at the HFES Annual Meeting. Students can also submit their papers for Best Student Paper Awards with various TG's.
- Eligibility for Student Member with Honors, an annual award acknowledging students who have made an outstanding contribution to the human factors/ergonomics discipline or to HFES, and Outstanding Student Chapter. Winners are acknowledged at the HFES Annual Meeting Student Reception. Nominations for the 2016 awards are currently being accepted and are due by JULY 1.
- Volunteer opportunities at the annual meeting, which facilitate networking and learning (student volunteers are reimbursed the registration fee).