Online Research Resources
This list represents a sampling of resources for research that are available on the Internet. This is not intended as a comprehensive list. See the educational resources review criteria page.
If you have any suggestions for content or information to add to this page, please contact HFES.
Free peer-reviewed encyclopedia: Scholarpedia
FastStone Capture Software (reviewed by Snapfiles). Screen capture utility with integrated image viewer and capture editor.
HCI Bibliography (Gary Perlman, director)
Softinterface, Inc. Text-Excel Conversion. Converts files from various formats to Excel.
Skype - Software that permits free calls to other people on Skype.
Sounds and Sound Effects - A variety of sounds to download.
UCL Statistical Parameteric Mapping - Software and information for analysis of brain imaging data sequences.
Collaborative Research Resources
Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Code of Ethics
American Psychological Association Code of Ethics
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Ethical Dilemmas in Research Integrity. Examples of ethical dilemmas and other resources.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Research Integrity. Resources pertaining to integrity in biomedical and behavioral research.
Ethics in usability and other resources compiled by Chauncey Wilson. Resources pertaning to ethics in usability.
- The Academic Scientist's Toolkit - ScienceCareers.org
Information on various career topics such as getting hired, getting funded, publishing, time management, and lab management.
- University of Mississippi: PSYCHEXPERIMENTS - This tool enables participation in psychology experiments as well as download data.
- Research Randomizer - This too generates random numbers.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education Information Technology: Using the Internet and Online Card Catalog.
Resource for teaching undergraduates how to use the Internet and the online card catalog.
- Merlot (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching).
Links to a multitude of resources in a diverse array of topics including tutorials in engineering, psychology, and statistics.
- Athabasca University Psychology Resources
Lists of links to numerous topics in psychology.
- Hanover College Department of Psychology
Links to a variety of resources in psychology, including tutorials, and demonstrations.
- Social Psychology Network
Lists links to Web sites in a variety of topics in psychology. Includes a randomization tool.
- National Institute of Standards and Technlogy Engineering Statistics Handbook
Includes discussions of EDA, methodology and design, modeling and analyses.
- Statistics Glossary
Definitions of statistics terms and procedures.
- Effect Size
Explains effect size and how to calculate it.
- Statistical Inference: Working with Confidence Intervals
Defines confidence intervals and how to calculate them.
- Power Analysis
Explains statistical power and how to calculate it.
- Claremont University, Web Interface for Statistics Education
Tutorials, applets, downloads, guides and publications in statistics, signal detection theory, and utility and decision making.
- The Psi Cafè: Research in Psychology - Inferential Statistics
Links to Web sites that offer information about inferential statistical tests.
- Rice University Virtual Lab in Statistics
Online statistics book, simulations/demonstrations, case studies, and analysis tools.
- University of Utah: StatCenter Sampler
Tools for teaching and learning science, methods, and statistics.
- The Society for the Quantitative Analyses of Behavior (SQAB)
Tutorials and links to mathematical and statistical resources.
- VassarStats: Web site for Statistical Computation
Resources for performing statisical computations including probabilities, frequency data, correlation and regression, t tests, ANOVA, and ANCOVA.
Information on Using Statistical Software
- Central Michigan University: SPSS Online Training Workshop
Tutorials and clips on SPSS.
- Clemson University: Linear Regression and Excel
Tutorial on using Excel to conduct linear regression analyses.
- East Carolina University: Multivariate Analysis with SPSS
Lessons designed to teach students how to run MANOVAs with SPSS.
- East Carolina University: Univariate Analysis with SPSS
Lessons designed to teach students how to run basic statistical analyses with SPSS.
- SAS Home Page
- SPSS Home Page
Software and Calculation Tools
- Web Pages that Perform Statistical Calculations
A complied list of Web sites that perform statistical calculations.
- University of Toronto Statistics Links
Compilation of links to various topics in statistics.
- ESCI Exploratory Software for Confidence Intervals
Downloads of interactive simulations on confidence intervals that run under Microsoft Excel.
- The R Project for Statistical Computing
Software environment for statistical computing and graphics.
- Go Power
Software to conduct power analyses for a variety of statistical tests.